Monday 7 January 2008

Slow Cooking...

after all the hupla over on Chrissy's blog about slow cooking solutions I decided it was time to borrow my mom's slow cooker and see what all the fuss was about. So this morning i woke up a little earlier than normal (was up at 6 instead of 6:35) to prepare our dinner for this evening. Since i didn't have a recipe to follow and i just had a bunch of different vegitables in the fridge along with some cubed veal in the freezer i just chopped up potatoes, yams, green pepper, red pepper and tomatoes. I dumped it all in the crock pot along with some chicken stock, water and tomato paste...put in on low and crossed my fingers.
Hopefully we won't have to order a pizza for dinner tonight as I have no idea what is going to come of this experiment i created...
I think i might buy some of those slow cooker solutions just to have on hand and at least i know they will taste alright. Plus i'm exhausted from getting up early to prepare dinner for this evening!!!

7 comments:

  1. Hey, D!
    Soooo...How did your supper turn out? It sounds like it would be yummy! You actually don't need to put a lot of water/sauce in the crockpot since the veggies and meat make its own sauce while it cooks slowly. Just a few spices and a bit of liquid and you're good to go.

    Yeah, I really didn't intend for that post to be so controversial. It actually took me by surprise! I kind of wish I didn't post about it!

    Anyway, hope you're having a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also waiting for the outcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know how dinner turned out too. I cook chili in my crockpot, one of the best tasting chilis i have made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it turned out really yummy. the meat was so tender it practicaly fell apart! i put in a little too much tomato paste and liquid but i know for next time to reduce the amounts.
    I have a slow cooker cook book but a lot of the recipes are for pork (GROSS!!!)

    D-Chili sounds awesome, i think i'll try that next

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh cool! I'm glad your supper turned out well! :) With the slow cooker, it's pretty easy to make good meals. I can e-mail you and Danielle some recipes if you wish.

    I don't know if you eat roasts (beef), but if you get one, just put some cut up carrots, potatoes, celery, green pepper, onions and whatever other veggies you want into the slow cooker. Then put the roast into the cooker (on top of the veggies) with some spices of your choice and a spoonful or two of water. When it's done, the meat is very tender and the veggies are delish.

    There are other things you can do. There are vegetarian dishes, chicken dishes, etc. A friend of mine makes spaghetti in his cooker. I don't like it when he cooks his noodles in there though, because they turned out really soft and mushy. The sauce was delicious though!

    Danielle, I'm going to try to do chili in there too! Thanks for the suggestion!

    P.S. With the roast beef, you will most probably have leftovers, which are good for lunches or if you want to make roast beef sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am going to try to make a roast in there. The only problem is this SC is a little small. It isn't one of those oval shaped ones so i'd have to put the roast in kind of sideways (kwim?) i don't think it would affect the cooking but just how to cut it afterwards.
    i bought a roast a while ago and it's taking up a lot of room in our freezer so i'd like to cook it soon.
    thanks for the suggestion C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I need to use my slowcooker more often too. I have an ancient one we got for our wedding (yes, ancient) that I've used less than 1/2 dozen times. You wake up to save time, that's the way of the mother!
    Hope you're feeling well!
    K

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...