Thursday 26 March 2009

house sale blues...

Our house has been on the market now for about 120 days...that is a LONGGGG time in the world of real estate. We have had so many showings and so many people trudging through our house looking...and I am SICK OF IT!! Every time the real estate group calls to let me know someone is coming it is a stampede to get the house in "showable" condition...not an easy feat with two small children around! The housing market seems to be at a standstill and so many people in our area have decided that they want to leave too...which means now that our next door neighbors have put their house up for sale too we have fierce competition...bastards!!!

I have learned a few things or two since this all started though! 1)I realized that more than 1/2 the toys we have here never get used! There are bins and bins of toys that haven't been in use for months now and seem to not be missed at all! 2) I have learned that it isn't so hard to keep the house in reasonabley clean state so that it usually takes me about an hour to clean the house from top to bottom(well that isnt deep cleaning but I am hoping potential buyers aren't looking under the bed for dust bunnies or in hidden corners for piles of junk!!) 3) I no longer leave dishes in the sink for days on end!! (i'm sure some former roomies of mine wish i'd learned how to do this years ago!!!) 4) I have learned that aside from a couple of major things I actually love my house and would stay here if only those 2 major things could be easily fixed-they can't -well one could the other impossible!! 5) i have realized that the "big" house I thought i wanted/needed isn't really what I want or need and all I yearn for is a garage and a driveway! the bigger we go the more cleaning we need to do-YUCK!


5 comments:

  1. Hey Dina!
    One of my friends is selling their house too and is going through the same thing as you.

    I agree with you about "the bigger we go the more cleaning we need to do". So true!!! I always thought I'd want a gigantic house, but I'm having a hard enough time keeping our current house clean! More rooms = more cleaning. *sigh* With a new baby at home, I am really struggling with housework and cooking...and not going insane from exhaustion. I hope I will one day learn to balance! :)

    BTW, I don't recall you ever leaving dishes in the sink for days on end when we lived together :) You were a really tidy roomie!

    Hope your house sells soon. Good luck with all of that fun stuff :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's what forced me into "house awareness" - the constant upkeep and showing (I've moved so many times, I'm SICK of it, and I'm sure you're feeling it).

    Well, the fact that I have my students coming to my house 3 or 4 days per week get me running around and cleaning pretty often. It's much easier to build that kind of routine and habit.

    Can't imagine how much more stuff you accumulate with kids around. Kudos to you, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh -- C... Kudos to you too! You're a new mommy with a new-born, heard it's the most exhausting time!!

    Oh girls are superwomen, y'hear?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dina

    Just remember the bigger the house the more junk you accumulate, I have learnt that..you find more hiding spaces for it.

    Hope you sell your house before the next door copy cats.

    I also agree with C..I don't remember you leaving dishes in the sink for days on end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. c- thanks for the well wishes...it is soooo hard to deal with all the stresses of trying to sell, deciding what we can afford and then waiting for someone to buy from us so we can seriously look at what is available!

    d- i know that now- we definitely don't need something huge! i will end up just keeping more junk that way- another townhouse will be fine for us-just one with a garage would be nice!

    ck- thanks for stopping by! I should go to you for how to declutter advice!!

    As for dishes- maybe it was MF who used to leave stuff in the sink- i just remember one of us huffing because of mess...who knows it has been so long!!

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...