Monday 9 December 2013

A big beef

I recently started going to Wicked Barre, on the suggestion of FP . I feel great after a work out there, and I honestly think that after the month of going to classes 2-3 times a week my body is really changing. My legs feel leaner, my core stronger (a tiny bit stronger anyway). I still watch what I eat for the most part, I don't always follow Weight Watchers as closely as I'd like but I am aware of how to eat healthy and make the right choices. One thing that really bothers me - and it probably shouldn't but it does- is when people say things to me like, "you're so skinny", or "oh you can eat that, you can afford it." Firstly, I don't consider myself skinny. I am average. I wear a steady size 8 or sometimes I can squeeze myself into size 6. Skinny in my opinion is size 2 or 4. I am on the thinner side of average but "skinny" I don't think so!!! I am often the biggest person in barre class (especially on Fridays!?!?!) Second, I can't "afford" to eat like a glutton. I work hard on eating healthy, I worked even harder on losing 25 pounds and keeping it off is a daily effort. I really can't eat whatever I want,(although in all honesty, eating junky, fatty foods doesn't really appeal to me anymore as it just leaves me feeling gross, bloated and very uncomfortable for days afterwards) nor do I even want to eat "junk food" regularly. I see what eating unhealthily can look like. I've been on that end of the spectrum. The people who generally comment on how I can "afford" to eat whatever I want are usually the ones who really can't afford it but indulge regularly- perhaps daily! Why do people make comments without thinking about them? (not that i've never been guilty of this-that's for certain) Is it jealousy or just ignorance that make people speak first and not realize the impact their words will have on the receiver? Maybe they are trying to pay a compliment and likely don't mean anything negative by their words but I just find these types of compliments to be slightly back handed!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:08 pm

    I feel the same way. I was just talking about this with a colleague (who also worked hard to get and stay into shape recently!). It is so annoying...especially when it from women who knew me before I lost weight, and know damn well that being thin-ish does not come easily to me. A few women in my life are always saying things about how thin I am and how much I exercise or commenting on how I never eat the fattening treats around the office, etc. Well yes, of course! Because reality is, for myself any many women, I have to choose between eating whatever I want (although i don't usually even want to eat junk anymore) and not exercising when I'd rather be relaxing, and being the size I feel and look my best at. I cannot do both, and I choose to eat healthily and exercise regularly and do not get why that seems to both other women so much. I guess I could be mean spirited and say jealousy...but some of the women who make these sorts of comments to me are as thin or thinner than I am!

    Anyways, I am glad you are enjoying Barre. Being strong and fit looks and feels even better than being skinny does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to get those comment from the ones who maybe at some point in their lives were thin but have "let themselves go" and are now definitely on the "obese" spectrum. Who sit at parties and eat the cookies, chips and cakes while drinking regular coke to end.

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...