Friday 9 June 2006

my new obsession

A few months ago I rediscovered the library. I had always liked reading but had gotten out of the habit for some unknown reason. So one rainy Saturday afternoon I decided to make a trip to our local library branch, I grabbed my hubby and drove to the library-he was in heaven as reading is just his thing (our house is filled to the brim with tonnes of books-all non-fiction unfortunately for me) I picked up a few books and enjoyed them immensely...but lately I have been going for the "chick lit" category. I don't know what it is about these books but I just can't get enough of them- they aren't as trashy as Harliquen Romance novels but they are generally very easy to read, involve some sort of love interest, and of course some type of conflict which inadvertantly always finishes with a happy ending...
My latest book is called Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin. It is about plain-Jane attorney Rachel who cannot find love but on the eve of her 30th birthday she ends up in bed with her best friends' fiance. AND of course they fall in love and the story just progresses from there, predictable but a good read none-the-less...
I have already requested Emily Griffin's next novel entitled Something Blue which is written from the view point of Darcy, Rachel's once best friend, whereas Something Borrowed was told from Rachel's standpoint. The first chapter or two was previewed in Something Borrowed so I think I will enjoy it just as much as I did the first book in this new series.


At least these books have reinstated my love of reading and I hope that eventually I will be inclined to get back to the more intellectual books of my past but for now I am superbly enjoying the chick lit genre.

2 comments:

  1. If you like this Genre I would recommend Jane Green, she is really good!!! Marion Keyes is another good one (while her's are a little longer) and I really like Jennifer Weiner.

    I think it is a pregnancy thing...near the end of pregnancy my mind was so into the baby and everything that I could not concentrate on anything but chick lit and magazines!!! That actually lasted until Zoƫ was about 8 or 9 months old!!!

    Also, when you are starting to really "get into" the whole adult committment thing---married, baby---it is fun to remember back to our own chick-lit living days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i've read a few of Marion Keyes books. I liked Angel and a couple of others...
    I also like Jennifer Weiner among a few others. Nice easy reads with happy endings, who could ask for more?!?!

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...