Monday 18 December 2006

hand creams

Now that the winter is here and the air is very dry it is time to invest in a good hand cream. I have been using Glysomed for a number of years now and really like how soft and smooth it leaves my hands but it is a little boring. It has no pretty scent and no sparkles or glitz. I usually smooth it on in the morning and it lasts through a couple of hand washing sessions without reapplication, i love how it works but I want something more fun too.
I also use the Body Shop Brazillian Body Butter which has a sweet nutty scent and works well on dry skin. There are a couple of things I dislike about this product. Firstly the price, at almost $20 a tub I feel insanely guilty about using more than a pea size blob of this at one application. Secondly, i don't like the tub format. I feel like I am contaminating the product each time I dip my fingers in to scoop out the cream. I know some people might use a popsicle stick or something to avoid this invasion of bacteria but I know I would never bother with this. I wish the body butters came in a pump style container with a cheaper price tag!
I recently decided to try the Olay Quench Therapy. It was on sale at Shoppers for $6.99 and something about the container appealed to me (probably the mauve color and the pump) so far i have been satisfied with the product. It has a nice light scent and the pump is easy to use. The only problem i have is the fact that is claims to be for extremely dry skin, i do have this on my hands and my hands have not been cured of this problem since using OQT...the skin around my nails and in the corners of my thumbs is still very dry and a little painful-
so now I am asking for your suggestion on which hand creams are best for really dry, cracking hands/nails.

2 comments:

  1. I've got super dry hands in the winter too. Actually, I've got super dry skin all over in the winter. What's worked for me is the mango body butter from the Body Shop. But, like you, there are certain things about the product I'm not too fond of. A)the price vs size and B)the tub format.

    My MIL introduced me to some miracle stuff called Corn Huskers Lotion. I know it sounds really 'country', but this stuff is magic. I don't think the scent is offensive either. The only thing is I don't think we can get it in Canada. She has her friends from the US bring her cases of the stuff. It's not too expensive either. You can google "Corn Huskers Lotion" on the internet or in my archives on my blog.

    It's definitely not frou-frou-shi-shi expensive designer/name brand stuff, but trust me...it works!!! (and I've got very sensitive skin and get reactions to lots of skin stuff, but this has worked wonders) You'd think Corn Huskers were paying me for this plug! LOL!

    Let me know if you find any hand creams or if you try the corn huskers stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eucerin is my favorite for very dry cracking skin. Nothing fancy about it, but it works awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...