Monday 27 October 2008

do your homework!






I have never been one to do homework. Back in school i kind a' sort a' did my research and homework. I would really rely on others for help and always managed to get by...even managed through university this way!!
Now that i'm a mom i have realized just how important doing homework really is. There are many many baby products on the market and so many important choices to make. I have relied somewhat on the experience of others to guide me through what to buy and what to avoid. Unfortunately i have had to learn for myself that some products just don't work for me or don't have all the features i need or want. Strollers, car seats, baby carriers, toys and even choices on furniture to be made...cheap is NOT always better and what worked for one mom most definitely doesn't work for all moms.
Most recently i have been searching for a double stroller. I bought the Peg Aria Twin on the recommendation of a friend and was really unhappy with it. The basket sagged, the wheels got stuck and it just didn't fit through doorways as easily as it should. I found it very clumbsy to manouvere. It was light weight and was pretty good for going to the mall but not much else. Forget taking trips to the park or the zoo where long walks on pavement or uneven surfaces were neccessary. One double stroller gone...lucky i was able to sell it easily!!
The second one i got was great on the roads, moved well over uneven sidewalks and seemed pretty comfy for the kids too.Baby Trend Expedition Jogger..unfortunately once this mammoth was assembled we couldn't fit it into our trunk! Getting it through doorways was IMPOSSIBLE so i had to take the kids out of the stroller before getting into the house, fold this monster up outside and wait for Gav to come home in order to take it in and downstairs (which wouldn't have been a problem if we had our own garage) Lucky Toys R Us didn't give me any hassles returning it!

Now i'm eyeing another beauty...Phil and Teds sport buggy with a doubles attachment...all the reviews are raving about this...do i take the plunge? and do you know anyone in person who has this stroller, are they happy with it, do they find it easy to use, easy to fold, easy(ish) to lift into their trunk...don't feel like buying and selling so soon again!!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:47 pm

    I don't know much about Phil and Ted's except that they are pretty pricey, and people. I always think those little add on seats look weird and crampedt...but parents always seem happy with them and the kids look comfortable enuogh!

    Looking again...another thing I dson't like about it...there is no child tray, the basket looks like it would be very hard to use with the doubles seat attached, and it also looks like it would be awkward to hang a diaper bag or outerwear with the doubles seat attached (it would hand right over the babies head). So, it looks like it would be good for jogging, but I am not sure how it would be for outtings when you need stuff in your stroller?

    I saw a Graco somewhere with a very similar seat a while ago...I thought it was P&T until I saw the tag. If you like that style, you may want to look at that one too. I know Gracos, though not as prestige, are really popular and most people like them. I'll try to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe you want to take a trip with me to Macklem's...i have never been there but i have heard they are extremely knowledgable. I am SOOO tired of not getting what i need...was going to get a P&T from Kijiji but moved too slow and it was gone by the time i called her...
    you are right about the basket too. that is the only complaint i have read about this stroller. Once it is on it is impossible to use the basket..BUT the toddler seat can be positioned in a couple of different ways so i'm not sure if that is always an issue.
    as of now it's no rush...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:51 pm

    I was thinking...since you'd mostly only jog during the day, why not get a single jogging stroller (there are tonnes on Craigslist) and a regular double stroller? I was looking around and it seems like the Graco Doubles are the most popular and have the highest ratings. The DuoGlider and Quattro both seem to have really good reviews.

    Anyways, come December I'd be glad to hit Macklem's with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww! Wish I could go stroller shopping with you and Fancy!!! I've been looking at strollers, car seats, travel systems, etc for "Junior". Sooooooo many products out there and soooooo much research to do :) I've got time while on bed rest though. I may run some ideas by you and Fancy though.

    Also looking at double strollers for my brother and SIL's twins...

    ReplyDelete
  5. actually it's not the jogging feature i care about. It's the narrow, easier to manouvere design i like about P&T or Valco strollers, and the fact that you can add a toddler seat to make it a double, then take the seat off for single (wish i had thought about that when i first went stroller shopping...would have defintely invested in one of those if i'd known about this feature- we always knew we'd try for #2 as soon at #1 turned one!!)
    i'm going to go to the baby and toddler show next weekend to look at different strollers and maybe get a deal there (well one can hope anyway!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:17 pm

    Oh the Valcos are nice too!

    I think the Baby and Toddler show would be a dangerous place for me LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...