Tuesday 21 April 2009

"I want my body back"

When I had my first baby I met a lot of women who claimed they stopped breastfeeding early because they "wanted their bodies back". I really wasn't sure what that meant and I was too embarrased to ask them. My intentions were to breastfeed as long as my son wanted and I did just that. We went until he was 15 months old and I honestly don't remember ever feeling like my body wasn't my own.
Just recently I have also encountered some women who claim they want their bodies back and are trying to wean. Their babies are only between 3 and 6 months of age. Again I don't know what women mean when they make these claims. Do they feel chained to their babies so much so that they think they cannot have any sort of life outside of mommyhood? Do they think that once the nursing stops they are magically going to return to their pre-pregnancy size? Is feeding a baby breastmilk, from the breast, so enprisoning that one feels trapped by it? I just don't get it!!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:42 am

    Well said D, you know I agree. Even with my infant who doesn't take a bottle, I still manage to get out of the house without her for a couple hours here and there(if it is timed well) and have a full life...of course there are things I cannot do yet without her, but they'll come and this sweet time is so short. I think it is amazing that I have kept my fat 4 month old alive and thriving with nothing but the milk my body makes, and don't really get how anyone else who can do so would not want to. BFing is cheap, easy, better for baby and mom, and so so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know nothing makes me feel better than nursing my little bundle! The quiet bonding we do while I feed her is unlike anything else I do for her. In my opinion this is one "sacrafice" that I wouldn't change for the world- I have a baby, I have cerain obligations to my baby, and I'm going to fullfil them to the best of my ability.
    So sad that some women feel they must give up breastfeeding so early for what appears to me to be illigitimate reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, D! I agree with you. Some moms I have spoken to have told me that they feel like a "milking cow" or that they feel chained to their babies.

    I actually LOVE BF Little One. Not only do we get that very special time together, but I'm giving her the healthiest, most nutritious food possible...and it's tailor made for her!

    I'm hoping/planning on BF her for as long as I can. My doc even recommended (especially since LO's a preemie) 1 year...if not 2!!! I think I can go to 1, but not sure if I can go until 2. We'll see how things go.

    LO does get ONE bottle of breast milk at night. Hubby gets to feed her and bond with her and I get to sleep for a bit. She's still getting breast milk, I'm getting a bit of sleep and Hubby gets to spend some special, quiet moments with his daughter. I sometimes BF her for all her feedings, but we normally let Hubby give her one bottle of breast milk. It works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I agree w/ Fancy. There are sooooooooooo many benefits for baby and Mom w/ BF.

    Some of my friends give their babies formula, but for me, I just can't even entertain the thought. Breast milk is natural, specifically designed for your baby. For myself, if I can do this for my baby, I will. I understand that some moms can't BF for some reason though, but if you are able to, then why not? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really miss nursing, it's something that I was so determined to do, and I was so lucky to be able to do it with the boy (though not too successfully as I nursed and bottle fed until 6 months) but extend that as far as 19 months with the girl. I remember being so sad when she weaned.

    So I agree, I do NOT get it either.

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...