Tuesday 5 January 2010

Week One, day One

I went to my first Weight Watchers meeting last night. I decided on a whim to join and I just called up the 1-800#, pulled out my credit card and paid for 6 months then and there. The woman on the phone kind of giggled when i told her I was planning on going to the meetings starting the next day- guess with it being New Years and all they have been getting more registrants...
Anyway the meeting was ok. I'm not sure the leader is the kind of inspiration I need but I'm going to stick to it regardless. She has been on maintnance for 18 months- which means that she reached her goal weight loss and has kept it off for 18 months. I would be more motivated by her if she'd said she kept it off for 18 years...but maybe i'm just asking too much. BUT even if the leader herself wasn't the most inspiring I did learn a few things from other members that will be useful in my overall new eating habits (or in slowing changing my eating habits- can't expect things to change over night)
So far it's been about 3 hours and I have been doing okay....not long but a start. No more double double coffee for me (boohoo- but not worth it) and no more tea biscuits or cookies as midmornig snack, these carrots i'm munching on are pretty tastey and they ARE really filling- really!

I did skip my 5am workout and am thinking I might have to rearrange my schedule because I'm just SOOO tired in the mornings PLUS my daughter is such a light sleeper that often when I walk past her room to get downstairs she wakes up and hubs isn't too happy about having to entertain her at 5am while I go workout. I'll figure something out.


I was going to keep my WW journey private but I'm hoping that by blogging about it I'll be motivated to keep it up. As FP noted in a recent post, it is like you are now accountable to someone and when people are watching you tend to be on your best behaviour.
Starting weight... 160.4 Ultimate goal: 135

7 comments:

  1. Good luck with the weight loss. Last year I lost 30 lbs. over 6 months on Weight Watchers (Unfortunately about 7 pounds have returned - argh). I hit my goal exactly one year ago. WW is a great and healthy way to lose the weight.

    If you are interested I have a few tips and tricks that worked for me...let me know. (Now I just have to start using them again myself - I think the problem is that I am not exercising at all).

    In the end I never stayed for the meetings after the first 2 weeks...I am not a rah rah, pat me on the back kind of person, I just went for the weigh-ins and the face to face accountability (and to buy the one point chocolate caramel bars...yum).

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi eileen,
    thanks for stopping by! I did WW about 5 years ago too...lost 20 pounds but gained it all back through 2 pregnancies and never losing it in between.
    i also went to the meetings for the first few weeks then just went for weigh ins. I found the meetings kind of boring and artificial. Anyway i'm just happy to be moving a little more- used to be a gym rat and then just stopped working out for about 5 years (after getting married and trying to save $$ on gym memberships etc...)
    anyway thanks for the well wishes and i'd love some tips if you can spare them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah...just curious how you came about my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I came to your blog via the Babycenter Jewish moms board - did you ever post there with a link? I have a roll of about 10 - 15 blogs that I peek at each day but i can't remember how I came to each of them...

    My tips (that I need to start following again)
    1. Salsa - I put in everything that I could - adds tons of flavour and almost no points....chicken, baked potato, etc. I found that if I bumped up the flavour level I ate less.

    2. Spaghetti squash - I made one about once a week and ate it when the rest of my family ate pasta (0 points for one cup vs. 4 points for pasta). Use whatever sauce you want, or see tip #1 - use salsa (and add some fat free sour cream)

    3. Dill pickles - ate them whenever I craved something salty like chips

    4. Couch to 5K - it's a website that helps you run 5K - starting at couch potato level of fitness (mine) - I need to restart this. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

    5. Big breakfast - I ate a pretty big breakfast and it really got the metabolism moving - fruit (lots), yoghurt, cereal with high high fibre content etc.

    That's my top 5 tips...hope they help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i will try them out. I didn't get my milks today and found that i was really hungry- so cereal at breakfast really works better than toast w/jam! The whole thing they focus on now is filling foods which makes total sense.
    i love salsa so that won't be a problem! and dill pickles too! i never thought about substituting those for salty/crunchy cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, Dina! And good luck on WW - it sounds like you've got tremendous resolve for this and I'm so glad that you're taking the time to focus on yourself. So many moms of young kids don't, and it leads to nowhere good.

    I couldn't help but focus on the 5 AM workout you wrote about- WHATT??? Whoa, girl, you've got determination!

    I'll have to say, I've always known that the key to weight loss is diet - sure exercise is important, but it doesn't help take the weight off on its own.

    I'll admit, I've never had weight issues (that is, keeping it off, mostly when I was younger being too thin)...but then after kids, I always felt like I was carrying a bit more than I had to. I worked out and all, but stayed the same weight. Then the old gall bladder attacks -now a year later, a bum knee later (which kept me from the gym for 6 months) - but a drastic shift in diet to control my fat intake - and wow, I'm down to what I weighed before I had the boy. Before I even thought about having kids. Purely by diet. Who would've thunk?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen- my 5am workouts didn't last long!! I used to do this before we got married EVERYDAY!!! and I was in great shape (although if you'd ask me then i'd have said i was fat)....i was finding i was too tired to get up anymore so now i work out at 9pm. It doesn't give me the daily energy boost but at least it's more sustainable for my long term goals!
    I'm glad you're getting back on track too!! hey-it would be nice to get together in person one of these days- we should plan a "thing" with fancy pantsy too!!

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...