Tuesday 13 July 2010

Top Five things I've learned lately

All weight loss related...

5. come prepared. To work, to the zoo, where ever you are going, bring lunch, bring healthy snacks and you won't be tempted to buy the garbage. I always bring my lunch and always carry healthy snacks with me now. Makes life a lot easier!

4. Think ahead. This goes hand in hand with come prepared. If I am going out to eat I check the menu before hand and try to determine the points value of foods available in order to make the best choices. OR I only go to restaurants that offer their nutritional content information online-keeps it simple. If it is absolutely impossible to do this I really carefully evaluate my food options and choose what I feel is the healthiest alternative.

3. Don't cut everything out. I love my daily coffee. I cannot imagine giving it up. BUT instead of getting a double double proper, I have switched the cream to milk and have cut my points from 4 per cup to 2. I also love sweets, nuts, salty snacks etc...I still have them once in a while but now they are an indulgence and I carefully weigh and measure before digging my hand into a brand new bag to grab and eat! Once my portion is done, it's done, there is no more! It is just not worth it!

2. Don't talk about it to everyone. People just don't want to hear about my "diet". If someone comments on my weight I am happy to share my not-so-secret, secret. I blog about it more for myself but if my reader(s) want to skip the posts they can!!

1. Do Be persistant. A bad day or even a bad week doesn't mean the end. Each day is a new chance to make good choices and to start over again. A gain or not doing as well as you would have liked one week is not reason to give up! There were times when I was ready to give up hope and i just chalked up those bad weigh ins as learning experiences and kept at it. Now I am where i want to be, give or take a pound or two and I am happy with that!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:24 pm

    Great list. I find #3 a challenging one though. I don't like to talk about it a lot...because I know it is annoying. However, at the same time...it helps me. If I tell everyone at work I am trying to lose weight, then I will NOT eat a donut (or even a muffin, I will pick the fruit) at the branch meeting, and I will be more likely to take the stairs, and make healthier choices when we do go out for lunch...etc.
    Also, I don't want to tell every I am losing weight, and then not be successful. I I try to find a balance...talk about it enough to make myself stay on track when I am wit my coworkers (which is a lot of the time) and little enough to not be annoying LOL!

    Whatever you are doing is working. I wish I had enough will-power to watch what I eat as carefully as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just remember the look of annoyance or whatever on certain family members faces whenever I would talk about dieting! Telling people you are working on losing is different than constantly talking about what you are eating and how much you've lost and calories in each food etc... i guess what i meant to say is not to obsess and make it the ONLY thing you talk about!!! Everyone here at my office knows i'm on WW and my family does too but I try not to obsess about it the way I would have when I was losing weight in my early 20's.
    I have will power to eat better to a point...not sure if the bag of chips (Full size bag) and chocolates I ate this past week would count as healthy- potatoes are a vegitable right?!?! and chocolate can be counted as a dairy serving?!?!
    You have great will power to exercise- i haven't learned that skill yet!!! Although circumstances around here have made me re-evaluate my life and I think i NEED to make time for things like exercise and fun! Life is too short to wait for "when i have time"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fancy1:43 pm

    run with me tonight! It'll be hot though....9:30ish???

    ReplyDelete
  4. fancy1:45 pm

    "I try not to obsess about it the way I would have when I was losing weight in my early 20's."

    I hear ya. I was so successful at losing weight back then, but also obsessed with it, and pretty miserable except when I looked in the mirror or went clothing shopping. Every meal was like a war inside myself. I would rather be obese than live like that ever again!

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...