Thursday 6 September 2007

Grammar drama...

I was never concerned much with proper use of grammar until I began teaching it after university. The difference in correct format and usage of words was never something I ever really thought about. Now I am a really grammar nut. I can't stand when I see incorrect usage or when I hear people speaking and using fowl uses of the English language.
A few of the written offences that really blow my fuse are:

using their/there incorrectly....come on that is such an easy one to get right!!!
our/are
to/too/two
were/where (these aren't even pronounced that same)
Some of the spoken errors I hate hearing:
Yous (as in yous people)
ain't (there ain't such a word...the word is there isn't)
I didn't hear nothing yet...should be I haven't heard ANYTHING yet (ARGH!!!)
we's (as in we-more than two)

And the thing that really nags at me is typos...i don't always correct them all but I usually at least try to do a quick edit and read over before submitting.Some of my colleagues have no problem sending email enquiries ridden with errors and it just grates on my nerves.Don't even get me started on spelling mistakes!!!! ..that's just me :)

7 comments:

  1. Actually, it's not just you Dina... I get so freaked out with typos and spelling/grammar errors - equivalent of nails on a chalkboard for me, and I'm always horrified when I find I've made any in my blogposts! And I was never even a teacher or English major - just severely type A!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:07 pm

    "Now I am a really grammar nut" and "fowl usage" ... Hello, Kettle, this is Pot... You're black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha anon- you got me...was wondering if anyone would pick those errors up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:31 pm

    I was reserving comment while wondering if it was meant to be a joke or not...seeing as that first paragraph it is some of the most awkward writing I have read!!!

    I don't get too worked up about such things myself. I am an very fast but awful typist and always have typos. I try to fix them, but not too hard. Everyone has their pet peeves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:38 pm

    I am an very fast but awful typist

    oops, say I am "a" very fast...

    I had started out just saying awful, but then added the very fast part and forgot to change the "a" to "an"

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally with you! I try not to get annoyed. I don't even know why I get annoyed, but it does annoy me when people use double negatives and say yous.

    This said, so are yous guys going to meet up with us for supper if we make it to Toronto within the next month or so? LOL!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:35 pm

    I'll be there Chrissy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...