Monday 17 September 2007

Missing the Mark

In today's environmentally aware society it absolutely baffles me how many people still don't understand the importance of reducing our consumption. I constantly notice people ordering coffee to go in toss away, non-recyclable cups(which i am guilty of too but have reduced doing considerably since getting my reusable, thermal coffee cup), taking numerous bags from various shops while shopping (when each bag might only contain a single item each) or using paper plates on a regular basis because it is "easier"

Today while browsing my local Joe section of the Super Centre I tried on and went to purchase one item. At the cash the clerk rung in my item, and was about to put in a plastic bag when I said "Oh, I don't need a bag, I have my own" Her reply was "let me put in the plastic bag, then you can put it in your bag" I looked at her and said "what would be the point then, I'm trying to reduce plastic bag consumption" I was not surprised by the clerks' response to my own bag as I have had quite a few retail clerks ask me if I'm sure I don't want a bag. WTF??? If i have said I don't like extra bags then I mean it!! What would be the point of carrying my own bag in order to fill it with a plastic bag...argh!!

The Super Centre has been running a line of commercials recently stating that they are trying to reduce the number of plastic bags that end up in land fills by a billion this year. This clerk should probably be made aware of this ad compaign. She should also be made aware of the need to use less plastic bags and to preserve our beautiful earth a little longer. Considering this store sells their own line of reusable grocery bags I was a little dumbfounded by her ignorance. Perhaps I should write a letter to the head office notifying them of the incident!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:04 am

    Yeah, I've been using my own bags for about 6 months now, and get this all the time....though never at supercenter as I always use self check-out (I never shop JUST at Joe)

    Wal-mart also sells their own bags, yet everytime I buy something at the electronics department (which is more often that one would think because they sell the DVDs and CD there and I often buy these as gifts for my daughter or the kids I work with) they say I MUST take a bag, because I will be walking through and out of the store with the product and they will think I am stealing a product that is not in a Wal-mart bag. Grr...that is what receipt are for!!! I always say "Um, I'd like to see them arrest me for stealing with a receipt in my hand!!". Then they look sheepish and say I'll still be stopped. So?? I don't mind 10 seconds to say "Oh, I used my own bag, but here is my reciept". It has never happened though.

    Also bugs me when they pull off a bag and I have to remind them...because then they shove the bag all crinkled up beside the register, and I just know they wont try to use a crinkled bag for another customer (G-d forbid they get a bag that looks used) and the bag will end up not even being used. I always say "No bag please, I have my own" the minute I get to the register...but they don't listen or forget.

    Hopefully, the more people bring their own bags, the more service people will get accustomed to it.

    It warms my heart that everytime I go to the supermarket, I see more and more people with their own bags. Bugs me how few people think to do this elsewhere though. I always see people with the LouLouLemon Bags at the mall...but I think it is only because they shopped there as they are usually carrying other shopping bags too (A huge reusable bag in their hands, and they still don't think to use it for thier other purchases. Even before I started dusing resusbles...If I had a big shopping bag already from somewhere, I would throw everyhting else in it. Just common sense)

    So...what did you buy at Joe???

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was at the med clinic yesterday as i'm not feeling well so i thought i'd browse Joe a bit. I ended up buying a t-shirt bra. It's really comfy-i'm wearing it today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:27 am

    We were there yesterday too...supercented and the clinic. The girl has an EI :(

    My co-worker got some Joe bras and said they are good. They look nice. Alas, no F cups!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i tried on a whole bunch. they have a few different styles and after about 5 i found one i liked.

    Hope Z feels better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing recently started in Hong Kong, they have a bag-free day... meaning they'll charge you if you take a plastic bag for your groceries... and I just stopped using plastic bags myself and use my shopping tote. The cashiers would actually say, "Thank you for re-using."

    It's nice to be appreciated instead of dealing with ignoramus. I feel for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wish they would start a bag free day here!! The other day I went shopping with a friend and she took a bag from each store she bought an item from...it was making me so mad to see her plastic bags piling up with one item each in them. We really need to educate everyone on the whole issue!

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...