Monday 23 August 2010

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

I used to LOVE cutting out recipes and trying them. I keep them in a binder and must have hundreds of them which look/looked good to me but I have never made. Yesterday my little guy wanted to bake a cake with me. I thought that was a great idea but couldn't find a suitable recipe for which I had all the ingrediants. Then I found this gem which was cut out of a Post Bran Flakes box in 1995!!!! (Yup you read that right. I had this recipe in my possession for 15 years and just NOW made it for the first time!!! )
Anyway here is the recipe:

2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup bran flakes
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

  • in a large bowl combine eggs, honey, oil, banana, peanut butter and vanilla
  • combine flour, cereal, baking powder, baking soda and salt
  • add dry ingrediants to wet mixture and stir until flour is just dampened. Spoon in 12 greased muffin tins, filling 3/4 full.
  • bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
    Makes 12 muffins

Nutritional Info

1 muffin: 278 cal, 5.7g protein, 15.6 g fat, 31.7 carbohydrate, 2.1g dietary fibre

They came out really fluffy and light. I did throw in a handful of chocolate chips in half the batter. They are quite high in fat and calories, equaling about 6 points each on WW. Next time I try these I would replace the oil with applesause for added flavour and to reduce the fat/calories. Since they don't have any sugar they aren't very sweet but my kids still ate 2 each!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...