Sunday 22 January 2006

feeling blue...

Expecting a baby is supposed to be a very happy magical time but lately I can't help feeling a little scared and overwhelmed. There is so much to learn and know before this little creature comes into our lives and I feel like there is nothing I can read or do to realistically prepare myself for this life altering event about to happen. YIKES!!!
I have books upon books full of all sorts of wonderful information and it has been useful but on the other hand how often do things actually go "text book"... I would have never imagined that people who have planned c-sections can actually go into labour early..well after talking to one friend this actually happend to her with both her deliveries. ALSO, who would have imagined that breast feeding would be such a hard challenge for new moms!! It all looks so natural but again after reading books and talking to friends it is not instinctive and babies actually have to learn how to suck properly to get milk...but thanks to some good advice from a good friend this doesn't scare me THAT much. She said the more you read about and know before you try the better prepared you'll be...I am really trying to take her advice and read up on BF as much as I can as I plan on going a full year at the minimum..
And of course there is still the fear that the IPS testing will detect something negative. I really don't know what we would do in a situation where problems were predetermined. I am not sure if I am prepared emotionally to deal with a physiologically challenged baby...but lets just pray to G-d everyday that these things will never become an issue.
I think once we go to our prenatal classes and hopefully meet other first time parents to be this anxiety will subside a little.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to parenthood, for the next 18+ years you will be obsessed with wondering if your kid has any problems, and wondering if they are your fault!!

    Seriously, just take each step as it comes. You've passed the worst part of pregnancy--that first tri-mester: No ultrasound, high miscarriage risk, morning sickness. Just two more to go!!

    As for the testing, I didn't get it, so all I can say is wait for the results, and worry about them when they come. Knowledge is power, so if there is a potentinal condition, the more you learn, the bestter postion you'll be in to decide what to do. I'm not so into God, but I know you are--so the saying "God never gives us mote than we can handle" may help!!!

    After the baby comes, it all just hsppens, KWIM?? You are lucky that most of your friends have kids, so you'll have support and understanding about what it means to become a parent. As well, they wont get sick of talking aobut kids!!! But really, most of the parenting stuff comes pretty naturally. Motherly instincts are pretty strong!!

    Breast-feeding can be a challenge, but it can also come naturally. I can honesly say that the only women I know who had unsurmountable BF issues, wher women that did not really care if they BF or not--had a "If it works, great, if not, I'll ff" attitude. The women I know who truly wanted to BF, were able to overcome any issues and have a successful BF experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:03 pm

    Dina, you are going to be a wonderful mom. You've also got a great support network (friends who are already mommies and who have gone or are going through what you are going through). Draw from those resources if you ever need anything.

    All my mommy friends tell me that it's natural to feel what you're feeling. This is a big change and a big responsibility...but I know you and Gavin are ready for this :)

    I'm not a mommy yet, so I can't really say much. All I know is that you guys will be wonderful parents!

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...