Monday 31 July 2006

becoming a parent

It is amazing how becoming a parent can totally change your perspective on life and living. This amazing new experience brings you to a whole new level of contemplation and understanding of the world. Since my son Elie was born almost 6 weeks ago my life has undergone so many changes...not just the obvious ones like dealing with sleep deprivation, no longer thinking of myself first, and the need to take care of a tiny human being, I'm referring to things like learning to smile at things that may have bothered me before- ie- the screaming kid being dragged out of the mall by his mom, or the woman who just pulls her breast out and feeds her hungry baby in the middle of busy food court. (I have yet to do that BUT I have been forced on 2 seperate occassions to feed in more public places than i would have normally found comfortable or appropriate-first time was at Baskin and Robbins one evening- no way were we going to make it home to feed since the walk was about 20 minutes and Elie was VERY HUNGRY, the second time was just yesterday while hubby and I were taking Elie for a nice walk through High Park-we were forced to sit down on a park bench and just feed him- it didn't matter that tonnes of people were walking and driving by- baby was hungry and that was that!!)
I have also learned that being and patient and relaxing are key to making life easier for myself. If my boy is having a crying frenzy and I can't figure out what the source is I have to just take a deep breath, relax and handle it, I cannot get all worked up or else the crying will never stop- usually all he needs is a little bouncing and hugging and he is good to go- we even get some sweet smiles these days.
The neccessity of teamwork has also been reinforced drastically over the last 6 weeks. Hubby and I must work together to make this parenting thing work and be enjoyable, if we don't than there is definitely the possibility of a meltdown.
Other things that have changed in my life is my relationship with my own parents. I have always found my folks to be a little annoying and have always been annoyed by them...lately I have never been more greatful that they are here and able to help out. My mom has been a g-d send these past weeks, she comes over, takes care of baby and lets me rest, shower or just have some ME time AND she loves doing it too!! The only thing she can't do is feed my little sweety (unless i pump a bottle which I like doing at times anyway)
I have realized that the world news is no longer important to me. I would rather watch Baby Einstein on repeat play than take the time to watch the news (especially with the sh*t that is going on now) Watching and reading the news just makes me angry and I want my baby to feel only happy vibes from me. I have been smiling a lot more lately and I think Elie will appreciate it.
HMM...I am certain that there are more a lot more ways becoming a parent has changed my perspective but right now I am having a baby brain moment so I'll let it go but if/when I remember I will update this entry :)

1 comment:

  1. Yup, being a parent sure does change EVERYTHING. Of course people tell that when you are TTCing and pregnant all the time, but it is just impossible to fully get it until it happens!!

    You sound great and like you (and Gavin) are really adjusting well to life with Elie. That is wonderful!!! Congrats on BF in public...once you do it a few times, it gets easier...absolutely if you would prefer not to, avoid it as much as you can; but once you know if you have to nurse in public you are able to do so, getting out is so much easier and less stressful. BTW, though where it is comfortable to nurse is up to mommy and very personal, there is nowhere it is not approprite to feed a hungry baby, unless it is somewhere it is not approprite to have a baby in the first place. Babies need to eat, a lot, and anywhere it is appropriate to have a baby, it is appropriate to feed that baby, be it from bottle or breast.

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...