Wednesday 14 February 2007

Water

I watched the emotionally charged film WATER this evening. Set in 1938 Colonial India, against Mahatma Gandhi's rise to power, the story begins when eight-year-old Chuyia is widowed and sent to a home where Hindu widows must live in penitence. Chuyia’s feisty presence affects the lives of the other residents, including a young widow, who falls for a Gandhian idealist.
This film has left me wondering about the state of the world.Also of how blessed I am to have been born in Canada in a time when women have so many rights and freedoms unlike those in less advance societies of another time.

4 comments:

  1. Ian and I watched that movie a couple of months ago and Ian was prepared not to like it (he thought it had chick-flick written all over it). We were both totally blown away by the film - so beautiful yet so tragic. And unfortunately likely so true. I agree with you - we are very lucky to be in Canada.
    I hope it does well at the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i hope it does well too. I was completely enthralled with the movie and immediately did some research on the caste system in India after I watched it. so beautiful yet so tragic I couldn't say anything more that that about this film .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:04 pm

    I guess I need to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, Dina! You've sold me! I think John and I need to see it :)

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...