Thursday 21 June 2012

wheat weirdness

I have never really been an allergy sufferer of any sort. The occassional sniffle at certain times of the year or a slight reaction to different foods but nothing to worry about. I have never associated bloating or general discomfort directly with what I ate, until today. I haven't had bread or bread products for breakfast in a very long time but today didn't have time for breakfast so I grabbed a bagel at Tim's along with my usual coffee. Boy what a mistake...firstly the points on a bagel are astronomical and definitely do not bode well with a weight watchers life style, secondly the after effects of all that gluten/wheat have been leaving me in a stitch. I have bloated up to twice my normal size within a very short time. My tummy looks like it is carrying child. After taking a digestive enzyme I am starting to feel better but boy what an eye opener!
Even if the bagel says 12 grain...it is probably full of wheat (bad) and definitely loaded with butter (bad)- so even if it is tastey...totally not worth it!!!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:28 am

    Oh I know, I think modern grains are not well digested, but we are so used to them as a staple of our diet, we don't even realize it until we take a break from them. I eat rice a bit (in sushi, but not as a meal or side dish anymore), but almost never have wheat anymore. I haven't had pasta since February. I used to think the idea that removing grains (which are relatively low fat and low calorie)helps weight loss was BS...but since I have gone of grains I lost 5lbs, and kept it off...in spite of eating a lot more (nutritious, like cheese, nuts, meat, and avocado) fat that I used to. It isn't a lot of weight, and I certainly was able to lose weight while eating grains, and the 5lbs doesn't really change much about how I look or feel...but going off them got me past a 2 year plateau when nothing, even training for a half marathon, couldn't! I also feel gross and bloated now when I eat wheat. I never thought I could live without bread or pasta...but now that I am used to it, it is so easy...and being able to eat more cheese is definitely a payoff I like!

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...