Monday 10 October 2005

Battle of the Bulge

Weight has always been an issue for me. I have never been severely over weight but for some reason have always wanted to "lose a few". For as long as I remember I have hated some part of my body or another. Perhaps it goes back to grade seven when on more than one occassion one of the "popular" boys looked at me and called me "thunder thighs"- I was devestated and have never forgotten that feeling of desperation to lose weight-although I have never really acted upon my desire to be thin I can recall expressing my feelings in my journals over the years.

Recently though I gained a lot of weight. Probably due to a new marriage, excessive stress and some health issues. I decided that it was finally time to take action. I joined Weight Watchers. I had no idea what to expect and thought that the people there wouldn't like me because I wasn't extremely obese and only had 20-30 pounds to lose. I'm glad to say my fears were unwarrented. The leaders, staff and other members were all very friendly and also extremely supportive. I was never made to feel like an outsider and was always welcomed and greeted with a warm smile and encouraging words.
I have managed to lose 16 pounds so far and am on my way to losing the 30 I was aiming for. The process is slow and WW is not a magic solution-they don't give you a wonder pill so you wake up one morning a size 6. It is all about making healthy choices. There are things I thought I was doing right but were actually doing all wrong...who knew that too many fruits weren't that good for you. All that natural sugar actually adds up to excess points/calories.
I'll keep you posted on my successes and failures and hopefully by posting I'll actually stay motivated to stay on track.
UPDATE
FOOD JOURNAL: (today’s weight 148 pounds) GOAL: 130

OCT 17 2005

Food Points Balance
Oatmeal 2 18

Blueberry bran muffin 7 11

3 crackers 3 8

cheddar cheese 3 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...