Wednesday 12 October 2005

WHAT IS A SEPTUM???

By definition a septum is a wall dividing a cavity into two separate cavities or spaces. The most recognized area in the body containing a septum is the nose. Thus everyday knowledge of correcting a deviated septum is now very common. There are other areas that contain the possibility of a septum that don't normal exist. In my specific case I have a uteri septum. I was never aware of this "birth defect" until an early term pregnancy loss. These defects usually go undiagnosed until a pregnancy failure occurs.
The septum extends to the internal opening of the cervix and in my case even further downward thus it is considered a complete septum versus a partial septum. With close inspection of the vagina the septum is quite apparent. It appears as an extra flap or hanging skin. The septum itself does not result in fertility problems but its existence does interfere with proper development of the fetus because the blood-starved median septum is covered by a poorer grade of endometrial than that of the blood-rich sidewalls.
This type of uterine malformation is one of several but appears to be the most common one found in about %30 of women with anomalies. About %1 of women on the whole have misformed uteri.
These types of malformations can be remedied through a fairly simply laproscopic procedure. Once upon a time these septum was removed through an incision in the abdomin but through medical developments this is no longer neccessary.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Dina. I'll be sure to keep up on things now!!!

    I am sure you will be able to succesfully repair your uteri septum and add to your family ( I never say start a fmaily-a loving couple of 2 is a family!!) soon.

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...