Tuesday 3 July 2007

Do you look (insert religion here)?

The other day the family and I were over at my in-laws house. We all got to talking about our different friends and such. My MIL made a comment that I have not been able to keep out of my mind since. She said "such and such doesn't look Jewish" Now I have heard this expression before and I never really thought about it much but this time it really bothered me.
How does one "look" their religion? Do you "look Catholic"? Can you "look Christian"?

What differences in appearance does a Jewish person have versus a "non-Jew"? All these questions have been going through my mind since our conversation.

Friends I met in adulthood have commented to me that I don't look Jewish. What does Jewish look like?

Do I look Jewish? Do you?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dina!
    What an interesting post! I have actually heard people say things like "So and so doesn't look Jewish" before. The funny thing is that it's been mostly my Jewish friends who have said those things.

    I wouldn't know how to even retort to something like that. What are people of different religions and faiths supposed to look like? I was raised Roman Catholic, but now attend my husband's church. He's Christian (United Methodist). I'd say I look more Asian than Christian though! Wouldn't you sat so too? LOL!

    I enjoyed this post and look forward to other people's comments. What a thought provoking topic, D! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops! That would be *say* and not *sat*!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dina, very thought-provoking post. I was raised Roman Catholic, not really practicing, but from a "cultural" point of view I'VE been told that I look of mixed race - like I could be "half", which is what my kids are. But Ian has been told he looks Jewish, by Jewish friends LOL! He's of Scottish/German descent, but he says "who the heck knows, I could have some Jewish background somewhere down the line!). Who knows why?!
    The funniest thing about 10 years ago, we hosted a Christmas dinner at my place - no kids yet, but since it was with my family, everyone at the table was Chinese. Except Ian. My cousin, who was about 3 at the time, was learning about different religions, and he looked around the table, then at Ian and said "Do you celebrate Hanukkah?" to which Ian replied "Does it look like I do?" and the little guy said "Yeah". But probably just because Ian wasn't Asian LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...