Wednesday 24 May 2006

those mischievous squirrels!!..garden part 2

I finally got around to the back of the house yesterday to plant my tomotoes and zucchini for the season....well today when i went out back to water the new additions I noticed a number of holes in the ground where the zucchini seeds had been planted. Now I KNOW I didn't just throw the seeds in and leave it all open like that so my only conclusion can be that those cute little furry squirrels dug up my freshly planted seeds...luckily they didn't get all the seeds but it looked as though they got about a third of them (which my actually be a good thing because after reading some more on planting zucchini seeds I think I may have planted WAY too many in a fairly small area)... time will tell what actually grows this time around- years ago we tried growing broccoli and ended up with heads of earwigs and absolutley nothing edible...




I have been noticing peanuts all around the lawn and front garden lately as well, I assume those were planted by the squirrels over the fall and winter for food...perhaps my little friends have just been trying to access their peanuts and came across my zucchini seeds...who knows...




Can't wait to see what happens with this experiment of mine...i usually play it safe and just plant tomotoes but after speaking to Jill one day a while back I thought zucchini squash might be a good choice and it's always nice to have variety...plus I made a mean zucchini chocolate chip muffin!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey D! LOL! Those squirrels are crafty, aren't they?? J and I have a HUGE garden (I'm growing tons so we don't have to buy produce in the summer and so I can freeze them in the winter). I have a solution to a squirrel problem: my puppy, Chance! LOL He even chased a raccoon up a tree the other day!

    We do have a problem with our apples in the summer/fall though. The deer just LOVE them! We'll see how Chance deals with the deer when it's apple harvesting time!

    Keep me up to date on how your garden's doing! Sounds lovely! What kind of tomatoes are you growing? Oh, we're also growing butternut squash! Just love halving them and putting it on a baking sheet and popping them into the oven! Very easy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...