Friday 7 November 2008

DNR

While watching Grey's last night I thought about the reality of do not resesitate(DNR). I always thought that if i were in a situation where i was unable to communicate what i wanted or i was no longer able to do things for my self- as in on life support- i would want to be allowed to die gracefully and just go without hanging on to possible false hopes....now that i am older my ideas seem to have changed a little or perhaps i am just more confused as to what i would want for myself in this situation. What i think about now is less selfish and more to do with my family...what would they want? how would they feel? is it fair to them?

How would I feel being in the reverse situation? What would i want to do if my parents were ill and in need of life support? I know they would not want to suffer and i know my father specifically has told me many times that he NEVER wants to be kept alive through unatural measures- i know what he went through when his sister was ill before the decision was made to take her off life support...and i would always want to respect his wishes but i imagine that is must be so difficult to let go...
what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. D, I watched that episode last night and had very similar thoughts. I honestly don't know what I would do and hope I don't have to make that decision, ever.

    ReplyDelete

Review

I have struggled for years to get the smile I wanted. I have tried teeth whitening at a clinic, every type of toothpaste imaginable includin...